Life Unexpected- Fatherly Love

I wanted to interview Matt Spanne for so many reasons. One of which is because I have known him for over 20 years, and I still know there is so much I don’t know. He and I couldn’t be from more different worlds. It’s the dichotomy of friendship, one people scratch their heads at, but we are as thick as thieves.

I have struggled for weeks to figure out the best way to share my experience of taking Matt out for coffee, so I want to thank you all for understanding as I figured out my process. I struggled with what to share with the public, because it’s not my story to tell. It’s not my life, it’s not my struggles, nor my achievements. Yet it’s my opportunity to receive so much guidance through his life experience, that it’s my duty to share what I’ve learned. I share his story with you from a place of gratitude, pride, adoration, and respect.

I want to thank Matt for being open, and honest to sitting down with me to share a part of his story. And for supporting me in my journey of finding myself, and who I want to be, and what I want out of this life.

If you know someone who would be perfect for the Coffee Shop series, drop me a line! Go out and spread that love like glitter my friends!

X O X O,

Ashley

25 thoughts on “Life Unexpected- Fatherly Love

1. Christina says:

Such a beautiful message, Ashley! A true testimony to the fact that you never really know what people are going through or what their journey was like. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

• ashunexpected says:

Thank you Christina! And you are so right! I have had such a wonderful experience sitting down with people and learning from people in my own community. Stay tuned girl, more lessons to be learned!

2. Sara says:

Love this, thank you Ashley! Not sure if you ever met Matt’s dad, but I definitely count myself lucky to have known him. The memories of sitting in his living room and playing guitar while he smoked his cigarette and smiled, or the times I’d call and he’d answer saying “Is this Que Sera?” will forever stand in my mind. It’s not hard to see how his son became such the compassionate and supportive friend that he is. You and I are both lucky in that aspect πŸ™‚

Hope you are well, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Sara (Perry) Carlson

• Sara says:

You and me both πŸ™‚

It’s pretty crazy how a little cowtown like Brentwood could produce such extraordinary and complex people.

Looking forward to more of these series- I know we don’t really know each other but I admire you as an artist and hope to learn more about your work as you continue your journey.

-S

• ashunexpected says:

Wow Sara, thank you so much! You just started my week on such a positive foot, thank you! I have more interviews completed and formulating the post about those this week! There should have been a pop up where you could add your email to stay connected with new stories, or feel free to follow Ashley Unexpected on Facebook to see when those posts roll out!

Thank you again for being so supportive! I appreciate you!

3. hal says:

i love this series – this interview is a wonderful reminder that you have no idea just by looking at someone what they’re going through so to treat everyone you come into contact with the same respect

• ashunexpected says:

I totally agree with you Hal! Everyone has their battles, and if you’re open to people’s stories the things you can learn may change your life

4. Whitney says:

All the feels for this post. What an honor you had to learn about Matt and really learn what his story is. Not everyone is willing to share their home life, but later in life, when we can appreciate and learn from those experiences do they come out for reflection and appreciation. Good friends are hard to come by and even harder to keep around. Keep at is Ash!

5. oxsian says:

what a wonderful series! it really is eyeopening to see that you really don’t have a clue what happens behind closed doors and in other peoples lives!

6. Vinil says:

Looking forward to see more such great personal stories. There are so many inspiring stories from around the world. Thanks for sharing. Btw, I like your neck piece πŸ™‚

7. Charmaine says:

Yes, it’s their privacy so we better ask for what is exactly we could tell with the world. Stories that inspire others are really helping in so many ways without knowing how did it work for them. Let’s stay positive. πŸ™‚