How to Prepare For Your Photoshoot!

Whether you are shooting with me, or with another photographer there are a few things we’d like you to know when getting ready for your session. When it comes to investing in portraits it’s really important to invest in the whole process. If you don’t plan ahead, you will feel rushed and the vision you had in your mind might not come to life. But if you invest in the process you and I can work together and make magic happen. Below are 5 top tips on how to prepare for your session!

Anna-0071 copy

1) Brainstorm the feeling/vibe you want your portraits to have. Romantic, carefree, classic, bold, editorial, etc? The feeling you want your shoot to have, will dictate the rest

2) Pick a location- If I want a hip and trendy shoot I might pick a coffee shop, or an urban setting. If I want a romantic engagement I might pick the beach, rolling hills, or an enchanted forest.

3) Invest in clothing. If you need help styling your shoot reach out to to me! Let’s set up a Pintrest board to share ideas. What is most flattering for your body type?Let’s throw out the matchy-matchy and go for complimentary clothing for your family, leave the prints to the kids, etc! If you are comfortable in your clothes you’ll be more comfortable on camera.
4) Style yourself. We spoke about clothes, but there is more to a look than just that. Being on camera washes you out a little bit, so even if you don’t normally wear makeup adding a little blush, foundation, lipgloss, and mascara can make you look more refreshed. If you don’t know how, or don’t feel comfortable with how to do you hair and make up, let me know! I do hair and makeup for my clients ALL the time!

5) Trust me! I always want to provide the best experience for my clients, and I want to create the best images. In order to do that you have to trust me. Believe me, we want the same things! This is a partnership and I want us to work together. When it comes to location, styling, lighting, posing, etc it’s a good idea to trust me. My goal is to provide you with the best possible photos all the while have a blast doing it!

There you have it, my top 5 tips on how to prepare for your photoshoot! Now, get ready, and ROCK IT!

X O X O,

Ashley

33 thoughts on “How to Prepare For Your Photoshoot!

• ashunexpected says:

Oh no! As if a talker for we definitely don’t want that LOL just try and relax and have fun. The more prepared you are for the shoot the more relaxed you will be on the day of the shoot. Also talk to your photographer a decent amount of times before the shoot to make sure that you guys do vibe with each other. Best of luck on your next shoot, and I hope this helps you just a little bit

• ashunexpected says:

Getting your photographers opinion on how your clothing all works together with the location will make the photo shoot looks so much more cohesive. I have a lot of naturally beautiful clients that don’t wear a stitch of make up. However you do get washed out and as a female sometimes it’s really nice just to add a little touch of lipgloss and mascara. For guys most of the time you’re good but thinking about your outfit and how it will work as a whole will be key in a beautiful portrait

• ashunexpected says:

Please feel free to send the link to your clients! I think this can work and be tweet for many different types of photo shoot. I’m glad you found it helpful. Share away😁

1. Rose says:

Great tips. I never really thought about the makeup deal but it makes sense. I do believe a open line of communication is best. I like your suggestion of asking questions about clothes!

• ashunexpected says:

Thanks so much for your thoughts Rose. I normally always wear makeup but my sister for instance never does. It wouldn’t even be something that crosses her mind. Really communicating and see what your client is envisioning is key to a successful shoot I think! Hope these quick tips help!

2. shannon says:

We did a mothers day shoot this year and i invested in clothing for the kids and it paid off with well coordinated colors.

• ashunexpected says:

Whoo hoo’ so glad to hear one of these tips have paid off for people other than myself and my clients 😉 I hope you loved you images!

3. Akshay Malhotra says:

I agree with you on the 5th point, you gotta trust your photographer otherwise too many instructions can ruin the whole shoot. After all you hired a photographer cause you aren’t capable of doing it on your own. Loved all your tips! gonna follow them as always 🙂

4. Julie Syl says:

Wow!! Great tips.. It’s right that you need to pick a perfect location and good ambiance before Photoshoot, Because it can gives more lightened for the pictures

5. lucicoo says:

Really great tips and I couldn’t agree with you more. You should trust the photographer they are the professional and they want you to have the best pictures.

6. classyontherocks says:

This was super helpful to read! I’m in the process of re-branding a bit on the blog and will be including more pictures of myself, which I am already nervous about. Your tips are definitely going to come in handy!

7. Melanie Walsh says:

We have a Christmas card photoshoot coming up. I like it when the kids complement each other but aren’t all wearing the same thing.

• ashunexpected says:

Oh awesome Sian, your doing photography too? That’s incredible! Let me know if you have any questions, do not hesitate torch out!